Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easter Egg Hunt


Today Owen Ray's preschool class had an Easter party. Part of this party consisted of an easter egg hunt. Trey had picked up a super cute dragon basket for Owen Ray to collect his eggs in. I wondered how these toddlers were going to do with this new fangled notion of hunting and gathering.

Owen Ray did not disappoint. That little man ran out the the yard, yelled "balls" at the top of his lung and stamped his feet, then proceeded to collect one egg after another, even holding them under his chin. He would not, however, transport them to their rightful holding area. His dragon basket lay woefully empty even while I implored him to release his arm full o' eggs. He refused but watched frustrated as the other little ones swooped up the eggs around him. I wondered at the spiritual implications of this. What can I learn from Owen Ray's unwillingness to let go of his easter eggs? He would not put them in his basket and thus missed out on getting the amount of easter eggs the other little ones did. He walked out with 4 easter eggs, all that his little hands could carry, while he watched the rest of his buddies collect a dozen at least. Do I do this? Am I so tight fisted, so untrusting with what I perceive as mine that I won't relinquish control even for a moment and therefore miss out on much more? It was just an easter egg hunt, but I wonder if there isn't a lesson in all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment