Thursday, June 9, 2011

Our Visit to the Topeka Zoological Park



Yesterday the boys and I had a very kick-back day. I tried to recover from the fractured sleep I'd gotten the night before. It appears Owen Ray is not able to sleep in one spot. He rolls around all night long and sometimes even talks in his sleep. This makes for one tired mama come morning time. As a result, we lolled around the apartment for the better half of the day.

Owen Ray, however, had not forgotten my promise to go to the zoo. So after nap time I loaded the boys up in the car and we made the 10 minute drive to the Topeka Zoological Park. It was well worth the $5.75 it cost for admission. They had lions, giraffes, elephants, monkeys, and an adorable baby hippo. Ray loves animals, and the compact nature of Topeka's zoo allowed him to get closer to the animals than he can at the Fort Worth Zoo. We went into the enclosed Rainforest exhibit, and he could hear the birds overhead. He pointed up at the "birdies" and I was freaked out to see a whole cluster of bats hanging upside down. Those winged creatures just make me shudder. I obviously need to read through Stellaluna a few more times. We rounded a corner in the rainforest and Owen Ray found himself just a foot and a half from a flamingo! He was thrilled to get to see the large bird up close, but he didn't dare touch it. Do flamingos attack? I guess neither of us wanted to find out. All in all it was another beautiful day in Topeka ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment