Thursday, March 28, 2013

Reuse, reuse, reuse


My Smith Family Budget Reductions Strategy #11 is easy to understand but so very hard to execute because I like to buy new things.  I want to buy new things.  I feel entitled to them.  It's ridiculous, really.  Here is a truth: I don't need to buy new things very often, and you probably don't either.  In most cases, we just simply want to scratch the itch. 

Owen Ray's Easter basket is a perfect example. Do you know that every year I get it in my head that Owen Ray needs a new one... needs. I don't know why.  He's never mentioned it.  He seems very fond of his little alligator/dinosaur/green thing, and it's been kickin' along just fine for 4 years. Still, year after year, come Easter time, I will head to the basket section and begin the exhilarating process of picking out the absolute, perfect, knock-his-socks-off basket.  Why?  No clue, but so help me I will leave with a brand spankin' new basket and a shopper's high. 

Then something clicks.  My shopping cart and I make a sharp turn and head in the other direction.  This is clearly a Joseph and Potiphar's wife scenario, and that conniving Easter basket has got my cloak. 

Here is my encouragement to you, my shopping friend: run, run like the wind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment