Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Brothers are best friends (thoughts on reading-aloud)

 Becoming a stay-at-home mom this past year was not just a major change for me; it was a major change for my 2 and 4 year old, as well.  The daycare center they attended was highly structured and tightly run (and rightly so). My two little guys had rooms on opposite ends of the center, and they did not see each other during the day.  When I transitioned to staying home, they had to learn how to function as siblings; how to share, how to fight fair, and how to live in relative peace and harmony now that they were spending more than just the weekends together.  

In spite of the frequent sibling squabbles, this process of watching their relationship as brothers flourish has truly been a joy. Our prayer for our boys is that they will grow up to be the best of friends.  It's our mantra here.  I cannot tell you how many times (a day) we say "Brothers are best friends".  If we keep saying it, it's got to soak in, right?  

One of the best and easiest ways that I have seen my boys grow together has been through their mutual enjoyment of reading-aloud.  We have spent countless hours together reading through one fabulous picture book after another.  And my heart smiles when I hear those sweet words uttered from the lips of my little tank - "Read it again, mommy!" Big brother often agrees, and so we stay curled up on the couch reading through Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel one more time.  

This past year I've used the book lists from Sonlight p3/4 and Before Five in a Row.  I cannot recommend them highly enough. We don't have the money to purchase all the wonderful books included on the book list, so we check them out from the library instead.  If we decide that we must have a book then we request it from Paperbackswap.com or seek out the best deal online.  

Before Five in a Row
Sonlight Core p3/4

If you've got little ones and you're looking a way to help their friendship flourish, I would suggest beginning the daily practice of reading-aloud to them... together.  These books lists would be a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment