Monday, August 26, 2013

HS: Week 2a

 
I am one happy mama.  This weekend Owen Ray asked Trey and I if he could do his schoolwork, and we had no answer prepared.  The question: "What will I do if my child asks me if he can do schoolwork on a Saturday?" had never entered my mind.  Ultimately, I ended up telling him not to worry about schoolwork and just play because I believe that "play is the work of the child" (at least the Montessori-ish part of me does).  In most cases, more critical-thinking skills and imaginative risk-taking go on in the playroom than the classroom.  With that said, though, I was pretty excited that he enjoyed his first week of Kindergarten enough to want to continue it.  I think the curriculum choices are going to end up being a good fit for him.
So far, week 2 has gotten off to a swimming start.  The kids and I took a morning walk and happened upon some sunflowers (or are they black-eyed Susans?).  In any case, the boys enjoyed picking a few for their sister and then we headed home to get Elinor to bed.  In lieu of piling up on the couch to do their read-alouds, we opted to head outside, fill up the kiddie pool, and I read to them while they splashed around.  Would you believe that their comprehension increases when they're not forced to sit still while being read to?  Elinor woke up shortly after we finished our readings and joined the boys in the water.  




No comments:

Post a Comment