Friday, September 20, 2013

HS: Week 5

This week has been extremely relaxed.  By relaxed, I mean that we have done the bare minimum... and I am so okay with that.  Dear friends of ours are getting married this Saturday, and there have been some behind the scenes things that we've been coordinating and prioritizing, so homeschooling has not been at the forefront.  Additionally, I've had a huge influx of orders from my Etsy store, so any free moment I have goes to painting. 

I am so thankful for Sonlight this week.  Their "open and go" lesson plans have allowed me to continue to teach even when life is hectic.  On Thursday, I was astounded to look in my lesson plans and see that I was instructed to go outside and do somersaults with my child.  Seriously.  And you had better believe that we did some somersaults.  It might have been Owen Ray's favorite lesson from the week. 

Owen Ray has started reading this past month, and I can't tell you how motivating it is for him to be able to read a short story to Trey or myself.  I love to listen to him tediously blend the letter sounds "ssssiiiiiick" and then triumphantly announce: "Sick! The cat is sick!" 

Most of all though, I love to see their imagination and play run wild.  Yesterday, the boys played for hours unsupervised in their room.  I was worried that I hadn't been called upon to act as chief resolver of conflicts.  I peaked in to make sure that all was well.  The boys informed me that they had found a secret passageway all the way to to Australia.  They reassured me that there was plenty of water for the journey and they planned to eat crab on the way if they got hungry...and not to worry about them.  {sigh}.  I love that.  








1 comment: