Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Playing the Victim: Reveling in the so-called "Mommy Wars"



{photo credit: mommyish.com}

When our husbands ask us: “So what’s this ‘Mommy War’ thing everyone is posting articles about on Facebook?” are we not at least a little bit embarrassed to try to formulate a response?

“Well…er… Some moms have strong opinions about parenting choices, and… um… it makes the rest of us feel bad. They feel like what they’re doing is right, and it’s not what I’m doing.”
Or perhaps:
“Well, sometimes us women go on Pinterest and discover that there are 13 Good Night Moon activities that this other mom did with her children… and we only did 2.  So, y’know, we feel like total failures. That other mom’s a jerk.”
Maybe even:
“Remember when I lost my milk supply early on with Chandler?  The nerve of those women breastfeeding in front of me.  It was like they didn’t even care about what they were putting me through. I couldn’t take out the formula bottle in front of them.  They’re such judgers. Judging.”

After uttering one of these statements, a light bulb may go off.  CRAP. I’m the weaker brother (or in this case, sister).  I am calling out my sisters on their failure to take into consideration my insecurities – expressed or not – on everything from how I feed and diaper my baby to what school I’m sending my kindergartener to.  Good Lord.  I need to get over myself.  

Oftentimes, when I meet another mom she has strong ideas about child-rearing.  Why?  Because it’s her business to.  She has done her research and she may have decided that she’ll breastfeed, but she’s not going to co-sleep, she’s going to stick with disposable diapers, she’s only feeding her kids organic food, and she’s definitely sending her child to the local classical charter school. 
She feels strongly about all of these things.  She loves to talk about them.  And you know what, these choices she’s making are hers to make, and they are of vital importance to her.  She shouldn’t be afraid to be enthusiastic about them – particularly not on her blog or her pinterest board as if that’s force feeding it down our throats.  

Some of my dearest friends feed their children organic food and are horrified by all those nasty pesticides and toxins that are in our food.  It is so worth it to them to beef up their grocery budget so that they can avoid feeding that “poisoned” food to their children.  

As the non-organic Aldi shopper that I am, I have a few choices.  I can go home and cry myself to sleep because I’m a horrible mom that’s been poisoning my child.  I can also get pissed off at my friend for holding such strong opinions and call her to repentance for making me feel bad.  I have the option of reading some studies and articles and re-examine my choice regarding whether or not it’s worth the cost to buy organic, just to make sure I know why I stand where I stand.  Or I can just listen intently– and delight in the fact that this mom feels confident in one of her parenting choices.  
    
Here’s a truth: I am not the center of the universe.  When I’m reading someone’s blog and they are championing the virtues of co-sleeping and how much better it is for my baby, I can choose whether to feel like that blog is about attacking me… or not.  And let me tell you, the answer (in almost every case) is not.  In the unlikely event that this blog, facebook post, or pinterest board is actually about attacking my decisions as a mom, then why the heck am I reading it in the first place?

Here’s the scenario in a face-to-face conversation.  I don’t co-sleep.  Why don’t I co-sleep?  Because when I fell asleep with my baby still in my arms, I woke up in the middle of the night thinking my laptop was next to me and quickly pushed it out of my bed.  The laptop screamed when it hit the floor.  So, I don’t co-sleep.  Plus, my husband isn’t a fan of it.  Done.  You co-sleep?  It helps you bond with your baby?  You’ve done your research and you worry about the side-effects of not co-sleeping?  Awesome.  I am so okay with that.  Because when I try really hard, I can be a grown-up who’s not ruled by my insecurities.  I can let you make your decisions and even share them with conviction, without feeling threatened. Unfortunately, I don’t always try really hard, so I’m not always a grown-up.

When I was a teacher, education companies were constantly pitching their curriculum to our department. 
  • “Our product will help your student’s finally reach their potential."
  • “If you don’t use our product, your students won’t learn.  They’ll fail their standardized tests.”
  • “Good teachers use our curriculum.  Here, just look at these charts or read these testimonials.”
  • "Your students have been struggling because you picked the wrong curriculum last year."
These statements are far more overt than the ones we so often read between the lines (or even impose) in the so-called “Mommy Wars.”  As a teacher, I cannot turn off the light and hide underneath my desk.  I don’t write a pointed letter to Prentice Hall or Houghton-Mifflin for making me feel like a failure.  In fact, those things would never occur to me.  Because I don’t take their opinions (even when presented as fact) and over-personalize them.  I know that they are committed to their curriculum and believe in it 100%.  Good. They should.  I’m not sure what kind of rep they would be if they didn’t tout the excellencies of their program above all the others. 

So, what do I do?  I simply take in their information, and make a decision about what curriculum I’m going to adopt for my students.  What if I choose Houghton-Mifflin, but I find out a week later that my best friend at the district next door can’t imagine life without Prentice Hall?  Do I ask myself: “Why is she trying to hurt me?  Why does she think I’m such a terrible teacher?”  Surely not.  That would be silly.  We’re grown-ups, remember?  We can celebrate the other teacher’s success and their curriculum choice convictions without resorting to feelings of bitterness or playing the victim.  

I suppose the reason I’m writing this is to remind myself of what I already know – that sometimes the pendulum swings too far, that me expecting and requiring other mom’s not to voice their passions with strong convictions  because… well… it makes me feel bad, that’s just really my issue.   My inability to want to get out of bed in the morning because I was up late the night before on Pinterest learning about all the ways I’m failing to enrich my children’s life – that’s a me-issue, not a them issue.  At what point am I going to stop reveling in the role of the weaker sister, ravaged and paralyzed by insecurities I continue to feed, and start calling myself to repentance?  I need to repent of my warped thought processes, of finding my identity in the opinions (perceived or verbalized) of others, and of projecting my insecurities onto other moms. Ultimately, I need to get over myself because this is just one more way I’m trying to live my dream of being the center of the universe. It’s been my dream since birth, y’all.  Thankfully, it just isn’t the reality.  Lord have mercy.

2 comments:

  1. Love this, I know how often I feel judged for my decisions and I know I don't judge moms who do things differently than me (you know within reason not like I let my child drink alcohol or something) but I bet there are people who have felt judged by me!

    I have even felt judged from both sides of a two sided issue! I felt judged for not being hardlined that I WOULD nurse (I said I would try I mean how could I know if i'd be able to i'd never had a kid yet) then later judged by my formula friends for not weaning my little nurser until after 2 years. I felt danged if I did or if I didn't like there were always eyes on me and in reality it was just 1 or 2 people on either side who were actually saying anything, I just assumed others were because of the loud opinions of the few.

    It's great to be reminded most people don't care about me specifically (in a good way) they aren't lurking waiting to criticize my choices! As a teacher I understand completely what you are saying because we don't take it as personally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this Shannon. I really needed to hear a lot of what you said, and I thought you said it wonderfully. I do my best to not judge others parenting choices, because that is what they are...choices. We have millions of choices to make for our children over their lifetime, there is no way we are all going to make the same decision, or even make the right decision all the time. As moms especially, we need to encourage one another, but understand that each family is different. We can give advice and examples of what worked for us, and end it there. Do not judge the mom if she choose to take a different parenting route. I have been personally judged by someone on a particular topic, and let me tell you it is not fun, and it also scars you...makes you question how much judgement you are getting from other moms (who aren't even saying anything...and may not even be noticing). My prayer is that I will give advice for what has helped with my child, but in a loving constructive way, all the time knowing this path may not be the best for the mom in question or for this particular child...it was just right for my child at the time. Every child is different, every mom is different, but we are all alike in that we have common goals (love and serve God, and raise our children to do the same), and we are all children of God. God sees us for the mess we are and loves us still...maybe one day we can see the other mom's are just as messy as we are, yet they are "perfect" for their child, just as I am "perfect" for my own. I too am a non-organic Aldi shopper, who also teaches her child to use coupons (at age 3) and would rather spend an hour at a consignment sale or thrift store than an hour at my favorite store in the mall. I definitely get looks and comments on these things (and this is not including the many comments we get about our minimalist budget). :) I need to look past these feelings of insecurities and know that I am a child of God, blessed and given the awesome obligation of raising my child using the gifts God has given me; just as this is for you and your child/ren. Thank you again. I have loved reading through your homeschooling adventure. Wish we were closer so that we could share some of this fun together. :)

    ReplyDelete