Sunday, October 27, 2013

HS: Week 9 or "The Week of Hospital Visits"

This week just started off on the wrong foot.  Chandler woke up Monday with a barking cough.  On Tuesday his croup (along with a good bit of vomiting and a high fever) was bad enough that we broke down and took him to the pediatrician's office even though we knew it would be a $120 visit (yep... we've got that kind of crappy insurance).  Much to our surprise, the pediatrician asked Trey to head to the local children's hospital with Chandler so that he could get a steroid shot, as well as epinephrine.  I stayed home with the well children while Trey and Chandler spent 6+ hours in the ER.  After a chest x-ray that was clear and a dose of steroids, Chandler was much improved. Praise the Lord.  Aside from a lingering fever on Wednesday, it felt like we were out of the woods.

Spider-man stickers for rockin' the X-ray

Thursday morning Elinor woke up with that tell-tale croup cough.  It didn't seem to be as rough as Chandler's was, and I even commented to Trey that I expected she would fare much better than he had since she didn't have the history of respiratory troubles that Chandler has.  I was oh so wrong.

 Friday morning, shortly after Trey left for work, I realized that she was really struggling to breathe, and seemed to be just as bad as Chandler.  I called the pediatrician and rushed over with her, hoping against hope they wouldn't say she needed to visit the hospital, as well.  They heard her stridor when we walked through the door and immediately took her back.  After the pediatrician looked over her she calmly let me know that she'd be ordering an ambulance to transport Ellie to the children's hospital and that I'd need to contact my husband immediately to have him pick up the boys so I could head to the hospital.  What?  I immediately burst into tears.  I was so shocked.  Ambulance?  I made the call to Trey.  He heard "ambulance... Ellie... transport... help" and made record time getting to the doctor's office. 

In the meanwhile, the doctor had come in to inject Elinor with a steroid that helped almost immediately.  That, combined with a simple saline mist seemed to provide real relief.  By the time the ambulance and Trey got there, it appeared she was doing better.  We asked the doctor to reevaluate if the ambulance was still necessary.  Because of liability, she still wanted to recommend the ambulance, but the paramedics said that if we felt comfortable transporting Ellie and she made a downturn on the way, we could always call them en route and they would pick her up.  I think that was there way of saying "Yep. She doesn't need an ambulance anymore.  But we can't say that."  This was such a blessing because that ambulance ride was going to be $1000+ out of pocket for us.  Trey and my mom (who was providentially already headed to our home before knowing about the hospital trip) made the drive with Elinor and I took the boys in another car.  During her car ride, Elinor was breathing much better than she had been all day.  By the time she arrived in ER, though, her breathing had become labored again.  The ER doc immediately ordered adrenaline.  It wasn't as effective as they would have liked to have seen so they ordered a stronger second dose.  Again, it didn't open her airway the way that had expected so they admitted her for observation.  After 7 hours they gave her another dose of steroids and the doctor felt comfortable releasing her.  We were headed home... at last.  I am so thankful for God's provision in sparing us from having to take an ambulance ride, in sparing us from having to make it an overnight stay, and for the availability of medical care that opens airways!  I'm also thankful for Cook Children's amazing playground and lego displays that kept my boys entertained whilst staying with their sister.  Lastly, I am grateful the Lord gave me a mom who came to my rescue and a husband who takes care of everything... because I needed them.
A gift from brothers: a stuffed fox named "Fixie"

Her doctor and nurse rocked -- they provide toys
However, I never want to go to the hospital again.  Ever.

As for homeschooling this week; it didn't happen, so we're doubling up next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment