Friday, February 8, 2013

Money Laundering

You know the type  - waving their freak flag in the air.  The folks that make their own laundry soap. WEIRDOS! Do these people even care about hygiene?  Obviously not, or they would go to Target  and pick up some Target brand "Up & Up."  If you buy the 150 oz Target detergent for $8.38 you have a steal at just 11 cents a load.  How cheap is that?

[insert deafening silence]

It's not cheap.  Not at all.  Not one, but two of my lovely sisters were washing their clothes with detergent that cost them 1 cent a load.  That's one penny folks.  That's like having your washing machine toss you a dime every time you throw in a new load.  And my sisters didn't smell funky at all.  I sniffed them just to make sure.

{image from littlehouseinthebigd.com}

  Several months back, I did it (Smith Family Budget Reduction Strategy #4).  I went to the supermarket.  I picked up the 3 ingredients.  I made the laundry soap.  Trey laughed; he mocked; he thought it was a little overkill.

Nearly 5 months later, with 1/3 of the laundry soap recipe still left in the bucket, that was maybe the best $6 I ever spent. Even better?  Next time it will only cost me $1 for the bar of soap because I have plenty left of the other 2 ingredients.  Now my husband praises me at the city gates because this is one less thing we have to add to our shopping list.

In lieu of posting my own "how-to" here is a fabulous one that utilizes the exact same recipe we do:

2 comments:

  1. I use this exact recipe! I have saved so much money, in addition to the trips to the store to pick up more detergent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had the ingredients to make this for a few weeks. Just have been waiting for my All to run out. Glad y'all have had a good experience with it! :)

    ReplyDelete