Monday, February 4, 2013

Movie Night Mondays

image from www.slashfood.com


I have a fabulous recipe for an easy, no-stress Monday night.  It's one of our key Smith Family Budget Reduction Strategies (that's supposed to sound really impressive and official)

Ingredients:
2-3 apples (I love Granny Smith or Pink Lady but we get whatever apple HEB has for <$1 per lb.)
1- 8 oz block of cheese (I like Sharp Cheddar; Trey prefers Colby Jack)
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1 TBSP coconut oil
1 family-friendly DVD from the library
1 bottle of Two-Buck Chuck

Directions:
1. Slice apples
2. Slice cheese
3. Pop kernels in coconut oil on stove top.  Here's How!
4. Bring popcorn, cheese, and apples to family room
5. Pop in free DVD rental (courtesy of your friendly local library)
6. Pour a small glass of wine
7. Sit down and enjoy!

Total cost = around $3 each movie night

Cost Breakdown:
Apples = $1.25 *HEB
Cheese = $1.39 (we use 1/2 block each movie night) *Aldi
Popcorn Kernels (32 oz bag) = $1.29 (ONE bag makes 120 cups of popped popcorn) *Aldi
Coconut oil = $6 (ONE container of oil makes popcorn for the whole family 63 times) *HEB
Two-Buck Chuck = $2.99 (one bottle = 6 movie night glasses) *Trader Joes
DVD (free) *Crowley Public Library


2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to look up how to do popcorn in coconut oil, so I'm so glad I checked out this post because now not only have I been reminded of it but there's a handy link right there. I don't eat cheese, though, so I suppose I'll have to sub that for peanut butter or something, haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut oil is pretty awesome! We use 1 TBSP and 1/2 cup of kernels in a Whirly-Pop. Prior to that we did it right on the stove top in a pan (just like the link describes) with 2 TBSP of oil and 1/2 cup of kernels. Coconut oil has a really wonderful taste, so much so that we don't add butter like the link suggests.

    ReplyDelete